Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day One Churchill Canada 6-19-11



Hi,
I made it to Churchill and am now sitting in my room at 11pm and it is not dark outside. We are having almost 24 hours of light. It gets sorta dark about 1:30am and by 4am it is bright light again.

As I was flying in I saw hundreds of whales at the mouth of the river. They are coming in to have their babies and eat the fish that swim up the river. It was very cool.

Found out I probably won't see a polar bear. The ice on Hudson Bay just broke up last week and the bears are out on what's left of the ice about 5 miles from shore. Turns out polar bears can swim a long way and when it melts they just swim in.

The research station where I am staying is between the northern most edge of the boreal forest and the tundra. As I look out my window I can see the forest. For those of you who don't remember, a boreal forest has trees with needles not leaves.

Tomorrow we go on our first research trip. We are going to be collecting data about the trees.
I'll write again tomorrow. If you have questions, please post a reply and I will answer them.

1 comment:

Lizette said...

Awww......I thought you would see a polar bear.....But don't worry, you still might.