Thursday, May 29, 2008

Anza Borrego Desert State Park





I took my kids camping at Anza Borrego. Second annual trip. only this year we had 39 kids, as opposed to 60 last year. We started this trip because of the PORTS project with the parks. The rangers have a video conference with the park and after ours last year we determined to take our kids out there. We got it done, but some of the money came out of my pocket, so we used a different tactic this time. The Sierra Club Inner City Outings Group took us. They are great and my kids get to go so many places because of them. This trip is just an overnight camping trip, but most of these kids have never slept in a tent, much less put one up. LuAnn is the ranger who does the video conference and she takes a personal interest in us. She hikes with us and brings bug boxes to the kids,(they love them). Without her support the trip would not run so smooth. My Sierra Club leaders are great. They make it so easy for me. But because of them I went to the training and will do my provisional hike soon and then I too can be an ICO leader.

No comments: